Wednesday 17 February 2016

Random Acts of Kindness...

Today is #RandomActsOfKindness day. 

It shouldn’t be that hard to do. Being kind should be part of our genetic make up as a human being. As children we were taught to be thoughtful and kind, however as life rolls on and we grow up, it is easier to keep our heads down and focus on our own lives, than taking literally minutes out of our day to do something kind/thoughtful for someone else.

A few months back, when I was struggling with various personal demons, I had the day from hell. You know that type of day. The type of day that we have all had in our lives. The day where everything is just shit. From the time you wake up, and continuously throughout the day – where everything that could go wrong, does go wrong. The day where every ounce of effort to get things right, is redundant, as things were destined to go wrong from the start.

My day at work had been awful. This resulted in having to stay late, which meant I upset my partner as she couldn’t clock off of mummy duties, as I would miss my son’s bed time, which pissed me off as I look forward to that 20minutes more than any other minutes in my day, where we have baby and daddy time, as I give him his formula and he settles to sleep on my chest. 

The tube ride from the office was horrific. Packed on like sardines, with the typical disgust and loathing that us London commuters seem to have for one another. As I exited the station, it had started raining heavily. I didn’t have an umbrella. I had taken it out to fit my laptop into my bag, as I was going to have to log on again once I was home. I was literally so annoyed at the hand that I had been dealt that day.

As I walked the 100metres or so between Embankment tube station and Charing Cross over ground station, I saw a young guy, around my age, sitting on the ground, clearly homeless. It was in that split second, I realised how insignificant my problems really were. I did something that I would usually never do. There was this guy - on the cold pavement, in the rain. He didn’t have a penny to his name, no job, no home, no loved ones around him. He looked like he needed help. Instinct took over and I stopped next to him, and without realising I asked him if he had eaten today. He told me he hadn’t. I went straight over to the Tesco Express store, and spent just over a fiver on random bits. A Mars Bar, a can of Coke, a bottle of water, some crisps, a packet of tissues, a hot sausage roll and a hot steak bake.

When I approached the gentleman for the second time, with the bag of items that I had quickly picked up, the look on his face will stay with me forever. The gratitude that man gave me that instant, was one of the most moving experiences I have ever had. It was like I had given him the winning lotto numbers. I stopped to talk to him, he quickly introduced himself as Derek, he came from Northern Ireland, and had been homeless for only a few months. He told me that he would try to get into accommodation for the evening, but there would be no guarantee. He told me that he had sat in the same spot for a number of hours, and hadn’t spoken to single person all afternoon and evening. After some brief back and forth between us, I wished him well and told him I would look for him when I was next passing.

I left Derek with a completely different outlook on my achievements for the day from hell. I had done something kind for someone I hadn’t met before. It may sound silly, but it was the type of action that I knew immediately would be something that would make my mum proud. The inner child in me knew I had done a good deed. It is crazy that something can mean so much to someone. He was so thankful for my kindness, it inspired me to do more of it.

I found out that there is a whole global movement - https://www.randomactsofkindness.org/ - with the aim of spreading the message of getting people to do kind things for others. Paying it forward. People doing good for someone, and that person in turn doing a good deed for the next person.

Since then, I try to do something every week for someone I do not know. It doesn’t have to involve spending money. It can be anything. Most of mine tend be chivalrous acts, holding doors, offering help with luggage, letting people on transport first, offering help where it is needed etc. It helps. If you are feeling down or low, doing something nice for someone you do not know really seems to lift you up. There is something worthwhile in helping someone else. Try it in your own life. Do something for someone that you generally wouldnt usually do. There are lots of things online to help you find inspiration should you be struggling. It has certainly helped me.

This morning for example, at the tube station platform, I saw a lady who had clearly been taken ill and had vomited. People were walking around her, instead of offering her some help. I gave her the packet of tissues from my bag, and asked if she needed help to leave the station. I sat and spoke with her until she told me she was feeling a bit better. She informed me that she was concerned she was going to pass out before I spoke to her. I hope she felt better, but I felt better for trying to help.

Buzzfeed posted a great article for 101 easy ideas for Random Acts of Kindness.

Some of my favourites:
  • Tweet or Facebook message a genuine compliment to three people right now.
  • Smile at someone on the street, just because.
  • Stop to talk to a homeless person.
  • Remind yourself that everyone is fighting their own struggles.
  • Help someone struggling with heavy bags.
  • Call your mom.
  • Join the organ donor register
  • Give blood.

I remember years ago when I was at University, I saw a man pay for an elderly ladies shopping in the supermarket. I automatically thought he was a hero for doing that. It isn’t until now, that I realise there may have been something underlying his reason for doing it. Either way, it was a great gesture of kindness.

A friend of mine volunteers his Saturday morning’s, to sit with an elderly lady in a local nursing home, and write her letters to her friends and family across the world for her, as she can no longer do it. She dictates, recalling stories and memories. He listens, observes, writes her letters, and offers her something that other people take for granted. Kindness.

Give it a try, do something kind for someone you don’t know.

No comments:

Post a Comment